Thanks to the many benefits of the omega-3s found in this substance, fish oil is one of the most popular supplements on the market. These benefits make it a lucrative investment for supplement companies of all sizes. Below is some basic information about fish oil, the fish oil manufacturing process, as well as tips to help you market this supplement to your customers.
About Fish Oil
Fish oil is an oil derived from the tissues of certain fish. It provides a variety of potential benefits to consumers, including:
- Improved bone health
- Fewer symptoms of asthma and allergies
- Support for memory and brain function
- Improved attention and less hyperactivity in children
- Reduced liver fat
- Health benefits for skin
- Fewer symptoms of inflammatory diseases
- Improved eye health
- Support for weight loss
- Improved heart health, including healthier arteries
Some studies have also shown that taking fish oil may reduce the consumer’s risk of developing certain cancers.
The Fish Oil Manufacturing Process
The fish oil manufacturing process is intricate and involves several steps, including refining, decolorization, deodorization, mixing, and stabilization. It begins with crude fish oil and results in a stable, high-quality product suitable for human consumption.
1. PREPARATION OF CRUDE FISH OIL.
The first step in the manufacturing process involves mixing of different crude fish oils to create the desired EPA-DHA profile. To ensure that the mixture’s profile is correct, a laboratory analysis of the oil’s fatty acid content is performed.
2. NEUTRALIZATION AND WASHING.
Next, a series of automatic procedures are performed on the oil to neutralize free acids. This causes the free fatty acids to form a paste, which is separated from the neutralized oil in a centrifuge. This oil is then washed with warm water to remove any small particles of paste that may still be present.
After the oil has been washed, it will be passed into a container to remove moisture. While in the container, the oil is subjected to a vacuum treatment. After this step is complete, the oil will be transferred to another container. Silica is added to the oil to eliminate any remaining moisture or paste.
Using a filtering process, the manufacturer separates the silica from the oil. Next, the oil is combined with active carbon and a mix of decolorizing earths to decolorize it and remove contaminants. After 30 minutes of incubation, the manufacturer filters out these substances.
Without deodorization, fish oil would have a strong fishy taste and smell. To deal with this issue, the manufacturer injects water vapor into the oil, which removes the particles that cause the odor and smell through evaporation.
To stabilize the fish oil, the manufacturer adds an antioxidant blend containing food grade antioxidants, such as tocopherols. The resulting mixture is transferred to stainless steel storage containers.
The final step in the manufacturing process is packaging. During this step, the oil is packaged according to the client’s specifications.
Marketing Fish Oil to Customers
As a supplement brand, you can benefit greatly from adding fish oil to your product list. Multiple research studies support the efficacy of this supplement for treating and preventing a wide variety of conditions. In addition, many licensed physicians even recommend fish oil to their patients for its health benefits.
However, with so many other supplement brands vying for consumers’ business, you need to be able to make your products stand out in order to get your fair share of the market.
To optimize the profitability of fish oil:
- Make sure consumers understand the benefits. – Fish oil offers a number of valuable health benefits for consumers. Highlight these benefits when you market your fish oil supplements to consumers so they understand how this supplement can be useful for them.
- Tell consumers why your fish oil is best. – Consumers interested in fish oil can choose to buy it from a wide variety of supplement companies. They need to understand what sets your supplements apart and makes them superior. Draw attention to these qualities on your website, social media pages, and all other marketing channels.
- Make it convenient and easy to purchase. – To ensure that consumers choose to purchase their fish oil from you instead of another company, make sure that your supplements are as convenient for consumers as possible. Provide bottles with a variety of pill counts and give consumers plenty of payment and shipping options.
Manufacturing Fish Oil with StockNutra
StockNutra has perfected its fish oil manufacturing process to ensure that our clients are able to provide their customers with superior quality products. With our private label services, you can add fish oil to your supplement line quickly and easily.
We offer a wide variety of options so you can customize your supplement for your intended market, including different EPA-DHA profiles, enteric coatings, and a variety of pill counts per bottle. Please contact us today to learn more!